General dentists are the most common type of dentists, you’ve probably been to see one at some point in your life. They do everything from evaluating your teeth to diagnosing oral conditions and treating them. General dentists perform a range of oral procedures except for very complicated treatments that require specialist training. At The Dental Family Beaumaris, we have a lovely team of dentists who can help with all your general dentistry needs.
In this article, we answer the question: what does a general dentist do? We examine their daily responsibilities and the services they offer. Then we answer all your frequently asked questions at the end.
What does a general dentist do?
General dentists perform a variety of diagnostic and preventative oral procedures. They can recognise the early stages of oral diseases and treat them before they progress. So, what does a general dentist do on a typical day? Let’s take a look:
- Perform general check-ups including a professional cleans
- Perform preventative treatments such as fluoride application
- Take X-rays to further examine their patients’ teeth
- Look at a patients’ medical history
- Make personalised treatment plans for their patients
- Use local anaesthetic
- Perform restorative procedures such as crowns, bridges and fillings
- Perform cosmetic procedures such as veneers, teeth whitening and cosmetic bonding
- Remove wisdom teeth and perform tooth extractions
- Prescribe medication
What services do general dentists offer?
General dentists offer a range of dental services. There are over a hundred general dental services, so each general dentist may offer a different combination. It depends on the dentist’s preferences, their areas of interest and the patient’s individual circumstances. Some common general dentistry services include:
- Gum care
- Dental bonding
- Dental crowns
- Dental veneers
- Wisdom tooth extraction
- Root canal treatment
- Tooth extraction
- Teeth whitening
- Dental bridges
- Cavity filling
- Treatment for TMJ disorder
- Professional mouthguards
How often should I see my general dentist?
Seeing a general dentist regularly can prevent oral health problems and save you time, money and discomfort in the long term. You should aim to see your general dentist every six months for a check-up and professional clean. Your dentist can advise you how often to come in if you have any oral health issues. You also need to look after your teeth in between your appointments, this includes:
- Brushing your teeth twice a day for two minutes
- Clean between your teeth with either an interdental brush or floss once a day
- Using a mouthwash (optional)
- Using a fluoride-based toothpaste
- Limiting sugar consumption
- Limiting damaging habits such as smoking
Prevention is always better than cure. Complex dental procedures can be timely and costly. So, save yourself the toothache and get a good general dentist. It’s always a good thing to invest in your oral health.
Frequently asked questions about general dentists
We get plenty of questions about general dentistry, so we’ve compiled a list of some of the most common ones. Let’s answer them:
Can a general dentist perform an extraction?
Yes, general dentists are trained to perform dental extractions. If a patient has a particularly complicated issue the dentist may refer them to an oral and maxillofacial surgeon. It depends on their individual circumstances and the dentist’s level of expertise or preference.
Can general dentists do implants?
Yes, general dentists can perform dental implants. They can undertake extra dental surgery training if it is an area of interest for them. It also depends on the complexity of the patient’s issue and the dentist’s diagnosis.
Can general dentists perform root canal treatment?
Yes, they are trained to perform root canal treatments. If the patient’s diagnosis is more complicated, they may refer them to an endodontist (root canal specialist). Again, it depends on the complexity of the issue and the dentist’s preference.
What are the other types of dental specialists?
General dentists make up the majority of dentists. But as with any health profession, there are also specialised areas of dentistry. These specialised dentists have extra training and qualifications in a specific area. Some dental specialists include:
- Endodontist: these specialists deal with issues relating to the pulp, tissues and nerves that surround the root of the tooth.
- Orthodontist: a specialist who deals with malocclusion treatment (misaligned teeth).
- Paediatric dentist: a specialist who handles oral issues in children from birth to adolescence.
- Periodontist: these specialists are gum experts and perform implant surgery
- Prosthodontist: a specialist who deals with dental prosthetics, including complex crown and bridge and restoration of implants.
- Oral and maxillofacial surgeon: a specialist who handles oral surgeries like difficult wisdom teeth extractions, implant surgery and cancer surgery of the head and neck region.
General dentist in Beaumaris
Now that we’ve answered the question: what does a general dentist do, why not go see one? At The Dental Family Beaumaris, we have a team of top-quality general dentists. They can perform a range of services and offer personalised treatment plans. Our main priority is your comfort and the health of your teeth. Book in for a check-up today.