Mouthguards for Sports
Losing your teeth due to sports trauma can be a painful experience, impacting your ability to speak, smile, and chew properly. If you lead a lifestyle where your face is at risk from physical blows, a mouth guard is essential, sometimes mandatory.
You may need to use a sports mouthguard if you participate in:
- Contact sports such as football, basketball, hockey, and boxing.
- Non-contact sports with a high risk of falls, such as rock climbing, cycling, or ice skating.
How a Sports Mouthguard Works
A sports mouthguard is designed to absorb the force of an impact before it reaches the teeth. It is typically fitted to the upper teeth, which are more at risk of injury due to their position. During physical activity, the mouthguard redistributes the force of a hit, helping to prevent serious dental injuries such as chips or nerve damage. It can also protect the soft tissues of the mouth, including the lips, gums, tongue, and cheeks, from damage caused by impact.
How to Use a Mouthguard
Inserting the mouthguard is easy and your dental practitioner will guide you about the correct usage. However, caring for your guard is essential for maintaining its effectiveness.
- After using the mouthguard, clean it with soapy water and a toothbrush and make sure to dry it.
- Don’t expose your mouthguard to extreme heat as it could get warped out of shape.
- Store the mouthguard in a sturdy container for protection.
- Keep the mouthguard away from family pets, particularly young pups looking for something to chew on.
- Check it regularly for signs of wear and tear and replace it if necessary.
- While kids’ mouths are growing, we recommend replacing the mouthguards annually.
Never allow a dental injury to affect your quality of life, book an appointment today to ensure optimal protection for your teeth and gums.
Let Us Help Protect Your Smile with a Custom-Fitted Mouthguard
While standard mouthguards are available over the counter at pharmacies or sports shops, they don’t fit properly and hence won’t provide effective protection in your time of need. To get a mouthguard that fits your mouth accurately, The Dental Family Beaumaris recommends getting one custom-made by our dentists.
We take a mould of your teeth and construct an oral device that is comfortable and designed exclusively for what you need it for. Made from premium-quality materials, your new mouthguard will do a great job of protecting your mouth.
Don’t settle for a one-size-fits-all solution – our friendly dental team can create a personalised mouthguard that fits your mouth perfectly and provides the best possible protection.